Our experienced team of editors and researchers contributed to this article and tested it for accuracy and completeness.
The number of sources used in this article is 10. You will find a list of them at the bottom of the page.
The wikiHow content management team carefully monitors the work of editors to ensure that each article meets our high quality standards.
People shave their hands for various reasons. Swimmers, runners and cyclists shave their hands in order to at least milliseconds reduce their time in racing. Bodybuilders shave their hands to look more aesthetically pleasing in competitions. The rest simply prefer to have smooth arms instead of hairy limbs.
Shave hands or not shave
In an effort to be attractive, a girl must decide for herself whether
to shave hair on hands. Before that, you should find out all the pros and cons of this procedure. Perhaps other methods of getting rid of vegetation are more suitable for her than a razor.
- The main plus of this procedure is the psychological state of the girl. If she experiences constant tension and awkwardness from the hair on her hands, then she should think about removing them.
- The second plus - hands without long, black hair look more attractive.
- The third plus is that you can wear any clothes. After all, girls with vegetation in their hands tend to hide it even in hot weather.
- The speed of the procedure and its safety.
- After shaving with a machine, hair will begin to grow faster. The bristles look ugly and prickly to the touch.
- Hair becomes more visible.
- You have to shave your hands in a day.
- The hair coat on the hands will be thicker due to the absence of a difference in the time of hair growth.
- If you often shave, then the skin of your hands becomes rougher.
Important! Ingrown hairs and irritation may appear after shaving.
How to shave hair on hands
After preparing the skin for shaving, moisten it with warm water and apply a special shaving gel.
You should start with the zone near the elbow, gradually moving to the wrist. The blade must be washed regularly with running water.
Important! Shaving hairs follows the line of their growth.
After shaving, the gel remains are washed off with cool water and patted with a towel.
After Shave Hand Care
After shaving, the treated area should be smeared with a moisturizer.
In case of irritation, the skin of the hands should be lubricated with an antiseptic. It is necessary to do until the irritation passes.
In this case, a compress with infusion of birch leaves will help. To prepare the solution you need 1 tsp. Leaves pour 1/2 cup boiling water. Insist until cool. Strain the infusion, moisten a towel in it and put on the zone with irritation for 20 minutes.
Important! Removing hair from the razor's hands can cause ingrown hair.
Can I shave my hands with an epilator? On hands, unlike a razor, an epilator pulls out hair along with a bulb. Although to a lesser extent, but the skin is injured.
Note. If after shaving the hands with a razor severe irritation appears, then you should pay attention to other methods of hair removal.
Waxing is divided into 2 types: cold and hot.
During cold, wax strips are used. They consist of a fabric base and a layer of wax. The strip is applied to the problem area and is well smoothed. After that, a sharp movement comes off. Repeat the procedure until complete removal of the hairs.
Hot waxing is performed in salons. For this procedure, the wax is heated, applied to the problem area and covered with a special fabric strip. After a few seconds, the strip is torn off sharply against hair growth.
Important! Wax should be at a comfortable temperature and not burn.
Causes of hand hair growth
Hair grows over the entire surface of the skin. They are not only on the inside of the palms and feet. If the hands have small, thin and practically invisible hairs, this is considered the norm and does not cause any anxiety or discomfort. But if the hairs grow densely, have a rigid structure, it is necessary to determine what caused their appearance.
In the female body, female and male sex hormones are in a certain balance. If suddenly this balance is disturbed, and male hormones increase in quantity, the body reacts to these processes by the appearance of secondary sexual characteristics of men, namely, intensive growth of hair on the body.
There are several reasons that cause a change in the hormonal background in women:
- disturbances in the work of the ovaries,
- malfunctioning of the adrenal glands,
- a malfunction in the pituitary gland of the brain, in which the body produces an increased amount of male hormones,
- metabolic disorders
- taking certain hormonal drugs
- puberty, menopause, pregnancy.
Sugar hair removal does not cause allergies. It is simple and does not cost much. When using sugar paste, the hairs are completely removed and the skin is not injured.
This type of hair removal can be done at home. To do this, you only need to purchase or make sugar paste. The pasta recipe is very simple:
- In a saucepan mix 10 tbsp. l sugar, 1 tbsp. l water and juice from half a lemon.
- Heat over low heat, stirring until mixture is homogeneous.
- You need to cook the mass until golden brown.
Important! If you take the finished paste with your fingers, then it should not stick.
To carry out hair removal with sugar paste, it is cooled and applied to the treated area. A cloth is applied over the paste, leaving a free end on one side. After the fabric adheres to the paste, pull the free end against hair growth.
All people on the planet are different. And someone's hair grows thin and sparse, and someone boasts a chic hair. As a rule, for owners of thick hair, the vegetation on the body is as dense and clearly visible to others.
Observations show that increased hairiness is more characteristic of residents of southern countries. Here you can see how this genetic feature is transmitted from generation to generation.
Most often, histrucism (growth of hairline on a woman’s body as a male type) is observed in Caucasian and Mediterranean women. Women from southern countries are prone to increased body vegetation
This is the safest way to deal with excess vegetation on the body. The essence of this method is the effect of light on the hair and the transition of light energy into heat. Under the influence of photoepilation, approximately 30% of the hair follicles die in one session. A complete solution to the problem will require 3 to 6 sessions.
This method has both pros and cons. The positive aspects include:
- Painless procedure.
- The hairline is removed forever.
- Suitable for everyone.
- It does not cause allergies.
The disadvantages of photoepilation are:
- High cost.
- Can only be carried out in the cabin.
- Not suitable for people with very fair and gray hair.
- It will take several sessions.
Laser hair removal
Laser hair removal is currently popular. It helps to get rid of unwanted hair for several years. This effect is achieved by the action of a laser on the hair follicle and the death of the latter.
Just like photoepilation, laser is painless. The laser affects the hairs of different lengths. Recommended length during the procedure is from 1 to 5 mm. In one session, no more than 25% of the follicles are destroyed. To get rid of 90% of the hair on your hands, you need to go through more than 4 sessions. The interval between them averages one month.
However, despite all the positive aspects of this method, it has another side. So, after the procedure, a burn, allergy, over pigmentation can form.
Important! Laser hair removal is not suitable for people with dark skin.
The solution to the problem of a large amount of hair on the hands has several options. Each girl must determine for herself whether the girls need to shave their hands and using which method to remove excess hair. It is important to consider your wishes and characteristics of the body.
How to deal with body hairs
Thick and thick hair on the hands, from an aesthetic point of view, looks very unattractive, in addition, this problem brings a lot of emotional experience to the woman. Therefore, the hair on the hands must be disposed of. But in order for the fight against excessive hairiness to be as effective as possible, you must first get advice from an endocrinologist and / or gynecologist. The doctor will prescribe the necessary examination and appropriate treatment.
If the intensive growth of hairs on the hands was caused by the use of hormonal drugs, the doctor can adjust the scheme and dose of their use or replace with other medicines.
Regardless of the reason that caused the rapid growth of hairs on the hands, excess vegetation should be removed. From a medical point of view, the removal of hair from the surface of the skin poses no danger or threat to health.
With increased hairiness of the hands caused by a genetic predisposition, additional therapy is not needed. In this case, the hairs simply need to be removed.
Advantages and disadvantages of shaving hands
The simplest and fastest method of getting rid of hair on the skin is shaving. Some women use this method of depilation, referring to its obvious advantages:
- speed of the procedure - shaving hands takes only a few minutes,
- absolute painlessness,
- safety (minimum risk of cuts),
- availability - a disposable razor can be bought at any store at a low price.
Immediately after depilation, the skin of the hands becomes smooth. However, shaving has significant disadvantages, which you should be aware of:
- hairs after the procedure appear already on 2-3 days,
- newly growing hairs will be very scratchy to the touch. This is because the pointed, soft tip of the hair has been cut off. The growing hair shaft has a blunt tip, a thicker body and a shorter length, at which the hair occupies a protruding position. All this leads to the fact that new hairs are much tougher than shaved,
- the hairs appearing after depilation have a darker shade, because usually under the influence of ultraviolet rays the hair burns out, and the newly grown hairs do not have time to be exposed to sunlight, so their color is somewhat darker,
- with systematic shaving, almost all the hairs simultaneously appear in the period of active growth, so the vegetation becomes denser,
- Frequent use of the razor makes the skin of the hands rough. Together with the hairs, a thin layer of the epidermis is removed, the newly formed cells are compacted, and this leads to a gradual coarsening of the skin,
- irritation may occur after the procedure, because under the influence of the blade (albeit safe), the skin can tolerate certain stress,
- the use of a razor for hair removal often provokes the appearance of ingrown hair.
As you can see, the disadvantages of shaving hands are much greater than the advantages. Qualified cosmetologists believe that shaving hands is not worth it, you can choose other types of depilation to eliminate hairs. Therefore, before proceeding with the procedure, you should carefully weigh the pros and cons and make the right decision.
Using a razor to remove hair on your hands, you will get rid of them only for a short time, after which the hair will grow even faster and also tougher. So this method will not save you from the existing problem. It is worth considering other ways to remove hand hair.
Elena Vishnevskaya, cosmetologist of the Cleopatra salon
How to prepare your skin for the procedure
Whatever the arguments against shaving hair on the hands, part of the women still used and will use this method. Basically, these are ladies who have a very low pain threshold, and they cannot tolerate the painful sensations inherent in other types of depilation. In addition, fans of the razor justify its use by the fact that you have to resort to his help only in the summer. Therefore, the following are recommendations on how to shave.
To reduce the appearance of many unpleasant consequences after depilation with a razor, the skin should be properly prepared initially. First of all, the skin must be thoroughly cleaned of contaminants and disinfected (you can use alcohol-containing lotions).
Some women steam the skin before shaving, motivating them with the fact that high temperatures open their pores, which makes shaving easier and deeper. In fact, such a preliminary procedure can only do much harm, because the skin becomes much more sensitive, the capillaries expand greatly, and there is a danger of cuts that will bleed heavily.
Experts categorically forbid shaving dry skin, this is fraught with the appearance of irritation. Therefore, before the start of the procedure, the skin must be moistened. To do this, it is best to use comfortable warm water.
The effects of hand shaving
To understand what will happen if you shave your hands, knowledge about hair development will help. This process consists of three stages:
- anagen - a period of active growth,
- catagen - cessation of development,
- telogen - hair falls out, making room for a new one.
Because of shaving, this cycle gets lost. A large amount of hair is in the anagen phase, due to which the vegetation becomes more dense. To keep your skin smooth, you’ll have to shave it regularly or choose another depilation option.
Shaving hands with a razor
After the skin is prepared for depilation, it is recommended to apply a special female shaving gel on its surface. Sometimes women use men's products for depilation. However, experts recommend shaving with the use of female gels, since their composition takes into account the characteristics of female skin and carefully cares for it. Manufacturers add plant extracts of aloe, jasmine, lavender, etc. to these products.
How to get rid of vegetation on the hands
It is necessary to carefully monitor the condition of the blade. A dull razor enhances skin irritation. Knowing how to shave your hands properly with a razor, you can make this process less annoying:
- A hot bath will make your hair softer and allow the pores to open.
- Apply shaving gel, liquid soap or shampoo to your hand and carefully spread over the surface.
- The razor should move against hair growth (from the hand to the elbow, from the elbow to the shoulder joint).
- Rinse the blade periodically with water.
- After the procedure, a moisturizer should be applied to the skin, which will accelerate the healing of the cuts and improve the condition of the cells.
To decide whether to shave hands, a woman will have to do it herself. If light vegetation is hardly noticeable, then you can not bother yourself with this laborious procedure, having performed which one day you will have to repeat it regularly.
Owners of dark hair are ready to sacrifice their time for the sake of beauty and impeccable appearance. It should be remembered that the quality of shaving depends on the sharpness of the blade. For the skin of the legs and hands, it is necessary to use various machines or nozzles. If you wish, you can shave your hands daily, but you should carefully care for your skin.
Gallery: Women's Shaving Gels
First, treat the part of the arm from the elbow to the wrist. You need to shave the hair with short movements along the growth of hair. After 1-2 passes, the razor blade must be washed with cold water.
To shave the hair on the outer surface of the forearm, you need to bend the elbow and also slide the razor over the skin in the direction of hair growth.
Shaving hair by its growth reduces the likelihood of irritation in the form of red dots and acne, and also prevents the risk of further growth of hairs.
If there is a need to remove hairs in the area from the shoulder joint to the elbow, you must also walk with a blade on the surface of the skin in the direction of hair growth.
After the procedure, the remnants of the gel should be washed off with cold water, and pat the skin with a towel, but do not rub. Cool rinsing helps close all pores. Apply a moisturizer to the skin: it softens and soothes the skin.
Follow-up skin care on hands
If irritation occurs after the procedure, then they can be removed as follows:
- lubricate the skin with an antiseptic (e.g. Chlorhexidine),
- treat the skin surface with oil balm. To do this, take 1 tbsp. l olive oil and add to it 5 drops of tea tree essential oil. You can lubricate the skin with this product 2 times a day. Balm well removes acne and red dots,
- make compresses with infusion of birch leaves. To prepare the infusion, you need 1 tsp. Pour birch leaves with boiling water in a volume of 100 ml and let it brew until completely cooled. Then the infusion should be filtered, moistened with a cotton napkin and applied to the place of irritation for 20 minutes.
Ingrown hairs must first be removed with a needle and tweezers, and then treated with an antiseptic to irritated skin.
Attention! If an abscess has formed on the site of the ingrown hair, it can not be squeezed out, otherwise the hair bulb will change its position, and ingrown hairs will constantly appear from it.
During the procedure for shaving hair on the hands, it is necessary to adhere to certain safety recommendations so as not to harm health:
- razor blade should be sharp. Some women use the disposable razor repeatedly for reasons of economy. As a result, the blade becomes very blunt, and during depilation, the hairs do not shave, but practically pull out, breaking at the same time. In addition, a blunt blade severely injures the skin. Therefore, the use of a non-sharp razor is fraught with the appearance of strong irritations and ingrown hairs,
- during the procedure, do not put too much pressure on the razor head, because it can cause cuts,
- special care must be taken when processing the outer part of the bent elbow, since in this place there is always the danger of accidental cuts.
Hand hair must be removed, regardless of the cause. Shaving is a quick and painless method. However, the elimination of hairs with a razor has many more drawbacks, so experts do not recommend using this method of depilation.