- How to dye artificial hair
- How to curl a wig
- What are wigs
So that artificial hair does not quickly disheveled, learn how to properly care for them. Keep the wig not folded, but on a special stand - this will save its store look, the fibers will not stretch, which will facilitate combing,
Wash artificial hair no more than once a month and in no case in a washing machine. Wash each curl very carefully from top to bottom, after foaming with a light shampoo,
Dry the wig with a towel, do not squeeze it like a rag, put it on a stand and wind it on curlers,
Comb the wig gently without touching its base.
To paint or not to paint
False hair is a modern way to increase the volume of hair, to give the hairstyle the necessary density. Their main drawback is the lack of susceptibility to chemical treatment, and therefore they can only be washed and painted with special compounds.
Attention! Repainting a chignon or a wig is not prohibited, but permanent tonics or coloring shampoos are not suitable for this. After such a transformation, the synthetic strands will fade and thinn.
If the overhead strands are painted for the first time, then it is best to carry out such a procedure in specialized salons. To get the desired result, it is important to follow certain recommendations.
Things to keep in mind:
- Do not radically change the color, a maximum of 1-2 tones,
- To color the hair gradually
- Be sure to study the basis of the coloring composition, the product should contain no more than 6% oxidant,
- To change the shade, use felt-tip pens / markers, ink or other gentle compounds,
- Exclusive tones can be obtained by mixing compounds using a harmless cold technique.
For color correction, you can use pharmacy dyes - iodine, potassium permanganate, fuchsin. They effectively modify the color scheme of wigs, as they contain a natural dye - metal.
Artificial hair is dyed according to certain rules. For the manufacture of coloring compositions, acrylic, vinyl, polyamide, kanekalon, seaweed-based fibers are used.
Attention! Wash artificial strands with room running water, using a mild shampoo. Dry naturally on a special stand. Comb gently with a brush with wide teeth.
The painting process does not require special skills. To perform a simple procedure, it is necessary to stock up with markers or felt-tip pens that are suitable for the color of the material. Carefully paint over each lock and dry the hair.
You can color artificial hair with blue, purple, black ink. Their disadvantage lies in the "spread" of color on clothes, objects, while the resulting color is quickly washed off.
It is best to use special dyes for wigs - batik paints. It is advisable to repeat the procedure several times in order to achieve a stable uniform shade.
Rules for dyeing the wig:
- Dilute 2 cans of paint in 3 l of water,
- Soak in the wig for 3 days,
- After drying in a natural way.
This procedure will make the strands stiff, and therefore you need to comb them carefully so as not to damage the hair structure. After staining, it is recommended to apply a fixing balm on the hair. It is important to choose the right shade and feel free to experiment with colors.
Attention! After dyeing, the hairs will become tougher, the strands will thin out.
Pros and Cons of Staining
Coloring with felt-tip pen is as safe as possible, but tiring, it is possible to paint only individual locks and surprise the audience. A uniform tone along the entire length is a titanic work.
Tonics and tint shampoos with up to 2% oxidizing agent content are also suitable for tinting synthetic hairs. Colorists use tonics only to achieve a temporary light result.
Puppet masters effectively use acrylic to dye artificial hair. Arrange on a newspaper and sprinkle with a spray can. Leave to dry for 3 hours. In order not to repaint the wig, you must initially choose the right color scheme.
It is best to buy a new wig with the desired color, then the appearance of artificial hair will be better, and the locks will last longer than after a home experiment.
Important! The batik technique is suitable for dyeing strands on hairpins, but there is always a risk that the result will not satisfy the client's requirements.
Coloring artificial strands after building is advisable to entrust to a professional. Even the most gentle compounds can turn curls into a scrap of straw.
Artificial Hair Care
It is important to carefully care for the artificial hairs, use special detergents, conditioner, balm. Excessive moisture can ruin the hairs. It is important to monitor the softness of the water in order to avoid brittleness and weakening of the hair structure.
Comb with a brush with wide teeth, gently moving from the roots of the hair to the base. Do not squeeze or tighten curls with rubber bands or hairpins. For styling use gentle means and compounds.
It is enough to wash artificial hair once every 2 months (taking into account the degree of contamination). Instead of rinsing, apply a children's fabric softener to the wig, which will give curls smoothness and shine.
Attention! Store artificial hair in a dry, clean and well-ventilated place, without direct sunlight.
With proper care for artificial strands, curls will please a neat look for many years. As for dyeing, it is important to use gentle compositions to easily give the hair a natural shine and radiance.
The self-will of care and color is fraught with heterogeneity of color and the loss of a neat appearance of hair. Be careful when carrying out the procedure for dyeing strands and enjoy the result!
Is it possible to dye artificial hair?
Experts strongly do not recommend staining artificial curls at home. First of all, synthetic strands differ in structure from natural ones, so ordinary dyes are not suitable for them. Aggressive components corrode threads, from which they become tangled, brittle, stiff or even fall out. Hue shampoos, mousses and tonic are also not an option, their composition damages overhead curls.
Henna or Basma, despite the naturalness, will not give a good effect. As a result of its use, red or black colors are unlikely to succeed, since natural and chemical pigments will enter into the reaction and can give an unpredictable shade.
Despite the huge number of prohibitions, it is still possible to dye artificial hair. To do this, use special compounds designed for synthetic strands. They are mixed with an oxidizing agent, which contains no more than 3% hydrogen peroxide.
To get a good result, it is best to take the hairpiece to the hairdresser, specialists will choose the most suitable method for processing it and maintain the integrity of the design.
It is quite difficult to choose the right tone for artificial strands, because on them the pigments appear completely differently than on natural hair. Note that the color of the paint should be slightly darker than the one you want.
Lightening is categorically not suitable for false hair - aggressive chemicals will turn it into a tangled pile of straw. You can only slightly refresh the color. But the light base can be changed dramatically, on it the compositions are most pronounced.
If for some reason you do not want to dye a wig of artificial hair in a professional setting, you can use several home methods. They are labor intensive and time consuming, but they can give the desired effect.
Do not forget that dark false curls cannot be made lighter. Various techniques are used to change the shade, each of which has advantages and disadvantages. We will get to know them in more detail.
A regular marker can be a tool for changing the color of artificial hair. After reading the reviews, you can make sure that this method gives good results, especially if you need to highlight some strands with bright shades on a light background.
However, the process is quite time-consuming and takes a lot of time - if you decide to dye the entire wig, be patient and get ready to spend several hours on it. The procedure is performed as follows:
- We get a marker of the right color in the stationery store, it is important that it is of high quality. If you have a long faux hair, take a few pieces at once.
- Before processing the strands, we put on gloves so that the color does not remain on the hands.
- We take out the rod and cut the film, we get a sponge soaked in a pigmented composition.
- Pour alcohol into the ceramic dishes, dip a colored sponge into it, then gently, on a thin strand, begin to stain.
- After the procedure, give the wig or curls on the clamps completely dry naturally (the hairdryer cannot be used, since the hairs can melt), gently comb.
The marker does an excellent job of its task, but it is quite difficult to use, given the painstaking process. Also note that the palette has very few natural shades, so lovers of conservatism and classics will have to choose another option for changing the tone of the wig.
Another way that girls use for home dyeing of false curls is batik. A paint intended for synthetic fabrics will suit artificial hair, it will not melt it, but it will make it harder. After the procedure, combing should be very neat.
In addition, the color may appear uneven, no one is safe from this. Most often, the technique is used to change the shade of the strands that are attached under the natural hair to hair clips.
Everything is performed as follows:
- We prepare a composition of three cans of paint, diluted in three liters of water.
- Soak artificial curls for three days to make the tone more even, we try to mix the liquid gently every day.
- After this period, rinse the strands well until the water becomes clear.
- Let dry in the fresh air, comb.
Ink, familiar to all, can be used if you want to give bright and saturated colors to overhead curls. It is not advisable to dye the entire head of hair, since the shade quickly disappears and remains on everything that the curls touch.
Also note that the process itself is rather laborious - you will have to process thin locks so that the tone is uniform.
To do this, perform the following steps:
- We get ink of the necessary color.
- We lay out or place artificial hair on a stand (jar).
- We put on rubber gloves.
- Separate thin strands with a width of not more than 1 cm and apply the composition to them with a cotton swab or foam sponge.
- After processing the entire surface, let the hair dry completely, carefully and thoroughly combed.
A popular and relatively uncomplicated way of home dyeing. It is used to give doll tresses of different colors. The structure of the synthetic false hair and toy are completely the same, so you get a beautiful and durable tone.
Make sure that acrylic paints are of high quality, it is best to choose products in spray cans - they are easier to use.
The application technology is as follows:
- We lay out artificial curls on a newspaper or paper.
- Shake the balloon so that the pigment is mixed with other components.
- Spray paint at a distance indicated on the package.
- We give the hair to dry in the fresh air for at least three hours, comb it.
Can I dye my hair extensions?
It so happens that girls want to change the shade of the extended strands. This is most difficult to do, since not only artificial, but also natural curls will be involved in the process. It is important that the composition does not fall on the capsules, otherwise it will corrode them.
Perform the procedure exclusively in the cabin, as it requires a professional approach. Compounds that are designed for dyeing natural hair are not used for the invoice, and vice versa.
Painting artificial hair is a rather painstaking and complex process that is best left to professionals. However, there are effective home technologies that help give the strands a new shade. When choosing methods, remember that the coloring compositions must be of high quality - this is important to obtain a uniform tone.
Features of Kanekalon products
Artificial curls made of vinyl, kanekalon, polyamide and acrylic have their own individual characteristics. They are easily electrified, split up and deformed, characterized by a peculiar shine. So is it possible to dye artificial hair?
Dyes intended for natural hair, this can not be done. You will achieve that artificial curls from such exposure will partially fall out. As a result, the wig, the hairpiece will become thinner and look very unpresentable.
Kanekalon here is the most successful contender for staining. Such artificial hair is strong, light, hygienic and strikingly similar to natural. But they have one drawback - they are practically unable to hold the pigment inside. However, professionals allocate several funds that can provide fairly high-quality tinting.
To begin with, our task is not only how to dye artificial hair, but also with the help of which it can be done. It is important to know which dyes are suitable for kanekalon hair:
- Powder aniline dyes for synthetic materials paired with the same, but only liquid, products intended for batik. Gamma products are considered popular. They can give a natural beautiful color to the wig.
- Markers of the desired shade. Remember that a red composition, for example, on red hair does not at all give a similar tone. The combinations of "source-final color" when using various dyes are described below. You can test this or that marker yourself on an inconspicuous curl. The difficulty is in the dyeing itself: you need to thoroughly work out “from and to” each strand, after which the artificial hair is dried and thoroughly combed. This method is completely safe for them. However, because of the long and painstaking work, it is better to leave it for highlighting or for small hairpieces.
- Powder or liquid paint intended for fur, foam rubber, plastic or synthetic fabrics. Here you can use color mixing to create an exclusive wig color. Both harmless cold and risky hot dyeing techniques are available.
If you want to dye a hairpiece made of artificial hair in this way, pay attention to the instructions given:
- Pick a marker for the right tone. If a wig with long hair, it is better to buy two or three in advance.
- Carefully open the marker to prevent damage to the shaft. The latter is taken out and cut lengthwise into equal halves.
- Before you are now two painting lips. You need to work with them only with gloves - the markers are very caustic and difficult to rub off from the skin.
- Take a ceramic, glass container, pour a small amount of alcohol into it.
- Lay the wig on plastic wrap so that it is convenient for you to dye your hair faux.
- It’s easy to work here: periodically dip a sponge from the marker rod into alcohol and run it along the strands until they become a uniform, uniform shade.
- After the dyeing procedure, be sure to dry the wig. Do not use a hair dryer for this, so as not to spoil the product.
- Only then can it be combed.
This method of dyeing gives saturated and vibrant colors to artificial hair. Moreover, the intense shade lasts a very long time.
If you want to see faux strands black, blue or purple, use ink from office supplies. However, be prepared for the following:
- The staining process is very laborious.
- Color is unstable.
- The wig will become very easily soiled - it will stain ink all around.
To dye artificial hair, pleased you with its result, it is important to choose the right dye. Here are some popular examples.
You are using red pigment. Here is the combination of "source-final color":
- Brown - red-brown.
- Ash - brown.
- Blond - light red.
You settled on a blue color scheme. Here the transitions from the source to the final shades will be as follows:
- Red Bordeaux.
- The blonde is greenish.
- Brown-dark brown.
- Ash-navy or slightly admixture.
You are using yellow paint. You can expect the following reactions from exposure to this pigment.
- Red-light red.
- Brown-haired brown.
- Ash-dirty yellow.
Продолжаем рассматривать, как покрасить искусственные волосы. Перейдем к новой разновидности.
Обесцвечивание капроновых париков
Immediately, we note an important thing: kapron strands in no way should be discolored by common means containing ammonia or hydrogen peroxide. As a result, you get a tangled lump of completely spoiled curls. Even the most harmless and gentle clarifier will lead to such an effect.
Is it possible to dye this type of artificial hair? Yes, a number of effective dyes are available - choose the one that suits your taste
Dyeing nylon wigs
Suitable options are: iodine, potassium permanganate, methyl orange, fuchsin, phenolphthalein. All these substances contain a natural dye - metal.
We will understand the features of their application:
- Only powdered metal-containing products containing urzol are effective.
- Be careful: iodine penetrates almost forever into the structure of a synthetic polymer. Depending on the intensity of the solution, you can get a color from golden to chestnut.
- Potassium permanganate is a fairly strong oxidizing agent. She will give a reddish-brown tone to the wig. By the way, it is suitable not only for self-staining. This is a great base for experimenting with darker shades. Do not dilute the coloring agent in metal or enameled dishes (the latter can be completely ruined in this way forever)! Due to the reaction with the metal, the solution will become unpredictable in color. The most suitable is glass or ceramic containers.
Using professional dyes
Perhaps you are interested in learning how to dye artificial hair at home? For kapron wigs, professional products with 3% oxidizing agents are also suitable. Ammonia-free foods are also suitable. A beautiful effect is obtained when staining with Gamma in bottles. But only if you follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
You can use a special paint for batik. To get a high-quality and uniform color in this case, you need to perform several sequential actions:
- Dilute 3 bottles of batik paint in 3 liters of water.
- In the resulting solution, soak the wig or hairpiece for three days.
- Then it is dried for a day.
- After dyeing, the structure of artificial hair becomes tougher. Therefore, comb them very carefully. Be prepared for colored strands to become tangled more often.
Quite relevant, especially for young girls, is the question of how to dye artificial hair on hairpins. You can contact the store of professional tools for hairdressers. There are often sold dyes for artificial hair. Of course, they are distinguished by a high cost, but the result of staining is worth it.
Other products for wigs and hairpieces
Is it possible to dye a wig of artificial hair? We found out yes. But just choose a harmless dye. You can also refer to the following:
- Tinted shampoos, means for tinting hair. It is important that the products contain no more than 2% of the oxidizing agent. However, such tools can only highlight artificial curls in several tones, and not radically change their color. By the way, tonics are also used by colorists after the hair extension procedure. These tools help to completely align the shade of natural and artificial strands, making their combination as natural as possible.
- High-quality and resistant paint for suede is also an excellent tool for color experiments with a wig.
- Spray cans with acrylic paint. Their use is one of the professional secrets of doll makers. The wig is laid out on the newspaper, the curls are carefully painted, irrigating them with the composition of the spray can. Then the product must be left to dry for 3 hours.
Artificial hair can be dyed with high quality. However, for this it is worth choosing the appropriate tool for them. It is important not to lose money with its concentration and tint.